Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Does anyone have experience with food allergies, loss of hair in a cat?

For the past few weeks, I've been transitioning my cats to a wet-food only diet (because it's healthier) - only top brand foods - Wellness, by Nature Organics, Blue Buffalo, Avoderm and Natural Balance, to name a few.





I've tried lots of them, lots of different flavors, over the past two weeks. And now my 9 month old kitten has developed a food allergy. Since I've introduced so many new foods, I'm having trouble finding out what the true culprit is, to cut it out of his diet.





Has anyone had experiences with this? And has anyone had any success in treating it with a diet change? I'm moving him to Natural Balance Duck and Pea today.





His symptoms are: Scratching at his neck and overgrooming, along with fur loss in this area. No mange, mites, fleas, scabbing or lesions. Just the hair loss. He's active, crazy and happy, no stress and eating and using the litterbox well.





The vet just wants to pump him full of steroids and see if that helps, but I'm a little reluctant.





Thanks for any infoDoes anyone have experience with food allergies, loss of hair in a cat?
Steroids treat the symptoms, not the cause.





My cat went through this twice before I realized that she was still getting some of her old dry food. Took it away, she's been fine ever since.





Cut out all wheat/corn/soy. See if that works. Usually this is easily done by switching to a canned food that doesn't have gravy in it. If that doesn't work you need to look at protein source. Fish is top culprit, then beef. Chicken is actually lower on the list of usual suspects. Novel proteins like duck or venison are a good idea as long as the grains aren't included.





Your vet is obviously not interested in nutrition, too bad.Does anyone have experience with food allergies, loss of hair in a cat?
Cats actually NEED a dry food, as well as canned food - I would do both.





Next - stop changing his diet. It may not even be allergies, hair loss wouldn't be the only symptom if that were the case.





Hair loss can signify Hyperthyroidism. Have him tested for that by your Vet.





Is he losing weight? Increased water intake?
First, I would find a better vet.





I had to do this with one of my cats. However, my vet recommended a specific prescription diet. That was all my cat could eat for 3 weeks. If he stopped licking himself, then it was a food allergy; otherwise, there is an emotional/stress trigger causing the problem.





However, some cats will lick their fur off. Just so happens that my cat likes to lick his fur off. My cat has no stress either (active, crazy and happy, eating, and using the litterbox fine), but sometimes there can be links to past abuse. Mine was a saved kitten from a very bad home. I got him when he was very young 6-8 weeks old. But I am positive there was abuse.





At this point, we (the vet and I) believe it is emotional licking.
I wish I could help....I've never experienced this although I've read up on it some.





I'll post a link which may help.





One thing I've heard is that cats seem to develop intolerances to chicken the most. That and fish. So if any of the foods you've chosen have chicken as the main or sole meat, you might want to eliminate those. And if any are fishy or include any fishy items as ingredients, you might want to put those aside too.





Good choices, by the way!
You yourself said it....you have tried him on several different foods.....cats can not handle frequent dietary changes...my advice is stick to one for a few weeks and see if the skin thing clears up...if not...dr knows best!!!
I would go with one flavor food and try for a few days and if that doesn't work another flavor.


I see you have some brands you are listing that have veggies and carbs in. Please check Janet and Binky's Food Chart and pick a food that is high in protein and under 10% carbs.





Chicken is often safe. Rabbit is good but I think that may be only raw food that you can buy on line. Beef is often a cause for allergies and fish and shell fish like shrimp. My cat is to the point of not breathing if she gets shrimp.





www.catinfo.org


read this article for all the healthy choices


in food for your cat.





www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/ca...


Janet and Binky's Cat food chart





Steriods work but will often give your cat diabetes.


IF you go that route please remember felinediabetes.com and come there when he gets diabetes. Over 4000 members there with diabetic cats.


Good luck.


Many times an all raw diet really works.
if your giving milk stop this,my cat could not have this,dont get vet to give steroids if you can there no good for your cat
I hate it when people use the term' 'pump full of' - the vet isn't going to use a pump, he's going to give you some tablets. Which will very likely help hugely with the problem. Vets are aware that this is a short term fix - but at least this would relieve your cat's discomfort while you figure out what's wrong.





Why don't you go to the vet and tell them you need help figuring out what's causing this, so they can actually assist you with that. If they don't seem to want to, then this is a bad attitude and you need to find another vet! But you do not need online help.





Chalice
Glad you don't want the steroids. You should be reluctant.





Also, I am very glad you are changing to a healthier diet. From your brands, I assume they are all grain free? If not, I would eliminate the ones with any grains first. If that doesn't do it, then you have to eliminate by flavors. I would start by removing any fish flavors.


Without ibd which your kitten doesn't have, I would look for allergents around the house Best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment